We’ve heard some doozies about storage unit disasters from thefts, fires, illegal products, and more. One tragic story is about a woman in Wisconsin who stored all her furniture in a unit while attending Army basic training in 2013. The furniture was in the unit for only nine months, but when she returned to get it all back out, she noticed a horrible case of mold developed. Her furniture was completely ruined. Deana Ritzman told CBS58 News “I literally picked up a bookcase and it disintegrated in my hands, so, that was very disappointing. It was absolutely covered in mold.” Ritzman had paid over $5,000 to store her furniture in the unit and was concerned about safely removing all of it herself. With valid frustration, she tried talking with the owner to see what could be done only to be told she didn’t pick a climate-controlled unit so they were not responsible for any damage inside the actual unit. Luckily, a few hours later she got a call back from the owner saying they’ll help resolve the issue and do what they could to make the situation better. In the end, Ritzman walked away with a refund of $2,645 and they helped remove all her belongings.
Stories like these remind us of why it’s important to do your research before choosing a storage facility. The Better Business Bureau recommends considering the following items when looking for a storage facility:
The story above is unfortunate, but we’ve heard it before. Mold is a concern for any storage situation, including your home. Look for a facility that will talk with you about all your concerns and be up front about risks and benefits.